Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Seall is a touristy town

Terry is too tired to blog so I will try to stand in for her......

The destination for the day was Wall, SD, home to the infamous Wall Drug. We were on the road by 8:30 with Wayne riding with Nance and Mark in their '48 for the 50 mile trip. The freeway passes by Elldridge (?) Air Force Base and there were B-2 bombers flying out on a regular basis. I saw at least five during our stay. They're easy to pick out with their thin wings and bodies and VERY loud engines.

Wall is a very touristy town, all centered around the 'drug' store. There is more crap in that store than you can shake a stick at but they did have several window 'state' stickers I was missing. We did a little gift shopping and then headed to the "South Dakota Gold" store across the street where Terry bought a few piece of jewelry.....I got a $10 metal woodie sign.

We returned to Rapid City while Mark, Nancy and Wayne headed for the Badlands, then Sturgis and Deadwood.

I tried to find someone to weld my broken tail pipe clamp but no one seemed to be willing to make the repair so I bought a $3 clamp/mount and fixed it myself. Then Terry and I ate lunch at Arnold's, a 50's style diner and then headed back to our room. Terry took he chance to relax while I did some maintenance on the car. We planned on heading to Mt. Rushmore at night to see it under the lights

Right after I finished there was a 'ping pong ball sized' hail alert, yet when I looked out the window it was sunny! I stepped outside and noticed the sky to the north was black and headed our way. The rain poured for about 30 minutes and stopped, fortunately without hail. When the other travelers returned we went to dinner but it ran too late to return to Rushmore for the lights.....not sure we really wanted to with such changeable weather. They were underwhelmed with Deadwood and said the bikers must bring Sturgis' draw since they didn't see it.....glad we skipped it.

Tomorrow's stop is Cody, WY, to tour the Buffalo Bill Museum and set up for our drive through Yellowstone on Friday (I think...the days are running together!)

2 comments:

  1. Oops ! That shod be "Wall is a touristy Town"....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry and Gary,
    You are really bringing back memories of our trips. I remember Wall Drugs and all I bought was some candy! And Cody, Wy. and the spectacular Rodeo we attended. Yellowstone, so glad you will stop there. Terry, get your rest so you don't miss Yellowstone.
    Not much news here in Santa Rosa. Great weather..ha ha. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete