Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hershey and beyond........


Well here is a picture of the intrepid travelers (click to get a better look) We had a wild weather day today as we woke up to rain and it continued until we got to Ohio..

The morning started off with us taking a quick (and I mean QUICK) trip to Hershey World for a 30 minute shopping spree...It was like that old TV show Supermarket Sweep where the person has 1 minute to fill their cart.... I was like that... :o) I got what I wanted and we had just enough time for one picture and we were meeting the others and starting on our way... It was raining and we had 7 hours of driving ahead to get to Columbus Ohio.... Let me just say that you see weird road side signs like World of pigeons...(really?? Who would go there?) and The Biggest Fireworks Store in the Universe (the Universe?? Really? That is pretty big!) along the highway. The rain was really bad and our little car was getting sooo wet, but we made it here and met up with Tom and his daughter Audrey and their Buick Woody and they took us to German town to a great German restaurant(See picture above of Hans (Gary) and Hilda(Ter) and then a quick tour of downtown Columbus. Thanks Tom, that was so nice of you to meet us and show us your town... Tomorrow we are going to Indy and I am looking forward to our tour of the speeday (Ya know I love my race'n!)

Gary:

What a day....it seems like everyday is what a day! Our fellow travelers are Mark and Nancy from San Diego in their '48 Ford (the blue car) and Ralph and Marie from Atlanta, GA, in their very red '50 Plymouth towing a little teardrop camper. All the cars demonstrated today that they are REAL cars. We awoke to wet cars but at least it had stopped raining.....short lived. The trip had barely started when the rains started again. We drove 400 very hard miles today and it truly a test of our cars. They withstood driving rains and crazy drivers. I was passing a truck and looked in the rear view to see the red '50 a very short distance behind me. I looked forward again and some motion caused me to look in the rear view again and all I saw was the grill of a semi which could not have been more than 10 feet off my bumper. I accelerated to get past the other truck and the bumper rider accelerated too! I was at 75 mph when I was finally able to get back in the other lane.

Tonight is dry and I'm hopeful that we've seen the last of the rain for a while....didn't I say that yesterday?

4 comments:

  1. Well, Gary, I guess you forgot to tell Terry that it rains a lot in the midwest, especially on weekends. So you're probably in for another shower or two on Sat. and Sun.

    We had a few sprinkles, which we were thankful for - our lawns really needed it.

    Looks like you are enjoying the trip. PLEASE do not drive 75 miles an hour in that car!

    Haven't seen Ian yet; hope that he made it home safely. It's late now but will call him tomorrow.

    Dominic's teacher wanted to send me a thank you card so she asked him what his grandma's name was and he said, "Grandma". Then she explained that his Mom was Karen and his Dad was James so what was his grandma's name and he said "Hubba Hubba". Karen is in deep doodoo for that!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ter...looks like more adventure your way!!

    I am seeing our friend Arthur....(you know why)
    I was telling him about your blog and I was wondering if I could send him the link..he seemed genuinly interested...let me know
    I miss ya much

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I am still laughing over the Hubba Hubba comment to the preschool teacher...that was just too funny! Ter, yesterday Ian came over to pick up your sweet Pee Wee. He was a perfect little angel the whole time he was here. Dominic wanted to keep him another "30 days" because I told him that's how long his Ta-Ta would be gone. :) Hershey shopping sounded like a lot of fun, Sista! Wish I could have been there to help you run and push the cart! Love, Sista xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Terry & Gary,
    Thanks for setting up the Blog - its really fun to read and to see the photos. I know ESCA will enjoy reading about the trip also.
    Safe driving.
    Marci

    ReplyDelete