Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Gary.....The first day of the trip with no rain. Now it hasn't poured every day but it has, in one way or another, at one time or another, rained but everyone has dealt with it well.

I was hoping to see a few buffalo on this trip, but I wasn't expecting to see them a few feet away! We were stopped on a two lane road and there were several buffalo at the edge of the pavement of the other lane....they were about 12 feet away!!!! There were a lot of calves so I was hoping I wouldn't get between a mom and calf but they all seemed very calm around the cars. We saw a few herds with 70 or 80 animals...it's hard to imagine a herd described by a hunter in the 1800's as " 20 miles wide and unknown how long, like a black cloud moving over the plains."

The Crazy Horse monument is impressive by itself, but what amazes me more is the fact that the sculptor had been working on it for 40 years and knew he'd never see it finished and now 7 of his 10 kids are working on it and it's probable that THEY won't see it finished!!!!! I have a hard time imagining working on something that I won't see finished. I remember reading about this in a magazine in the 60's.

We have driven about 2500 trouble free miles with three 60 +/- year old cars. I am truly amazed by their reliability. We added a fourth today but it will likely be as reliable as the rest. Sure, they leak a little in the rain but the smiles and waves we get along the way make up for that. I have a little maintenance to do tomorrow(repair a tailpipe mount and replace a radio fuse) and then we're on our way to the last third of the trip. We have an easy day tomorrow but the next two will be about 350 miles each.

The time is flying by................

4 comments:

  1. Based on your photo, it doesn't appear that Crazy Horse has changed much, if at all, from when I was there 10 years ago.

    Glad to hear that Wayne caught up with you guys. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a daily watch on your travels. Happy to know that there are now two shoeboxes with Wayne on board. Can't believe that you are having so much rain. Good thing for window wipers and rags to mop up the leaks.

    Will be anxiously aaiting the rest of the story re: Mt. Rushmore.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were expecting hail today but it moved north.....whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mt Rushmore looks amazing in pics...loved the personal view I received on my cell phone!

    Buffalo, that must have been something..Makes me want to sing Home on the Range!

    anyway, miss my Ter and hope you trip continues to be safe and tons of fun!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete